Some people do a “30 things to do before I turn 30” list, well, I’m a little late for that since I’ll be 30 in a month. When I was 15, I did make a goal to visit all of the continents before I was 30. I made it to 5 out of the 7 before my chronic illnesses prevented me from international travel. While I still dream of visiting the final two (Antartica and Africa), it won’t be anytime soon. Instead, I decided to make a list of 30 things to do while I’m 30.
1. Make a website about cavy genetics. ✓
2. Hang portraits of my pets (past and present) in my hallway.
3. Read the rest of the Harry Potter series.
4. Learn basic conversational French.
5. Bake an apple pie and crust from scratch.
6. Take a picture every week and crop/edit it to learn new skills. ✓
7. “Pay it forward” to someone else. ✓
8. Earn a title on one of my dogs. ✓
9. Crochet a dinosaur.
10. Blow bubbles when it is below freezing outside.
11. Make a planner/organizer.
12. Visit a museum I’ve never been to before.
13. Find 30 geocaches.
14. Release a new travel bug for my birthday. ✓
15. Finish a jigsaw puzzle (500+ pieces) by myself.
16. Become a volunteer at the Humane Society. ✓
17. Make paw print impressions of my pets.
18. Rewatch all of the House episodes. ✓
19. Wear pajamas for a whole day. ✓
20. Try a new food each week. ✓
21. Put my books on shelves in Dewey Decimal order.
22. Visit an Antartica exhibit at the zoo.
23. Visit an Africa exhibit at the zoo.
24. Fly a kite.
25. Blog once a month. ✓
26. Try to grow Brussel sprouts. ✓
27. Plant a tree. ✓
28. Grow a vegetable that is a “funny color” (purple broccoli, white carrots, etc.).
29. Write a letter to my 40-year-old self.
30. Make a list of Things to do Before I Turn 40 (and do them before I turn 40, not after).
I’m now an official volunteer at the local humane society! I went through the training and did my first hours of volunteering cleaning cat cages and then spending time playing with the cats.
This cat, Tinsel, insisted on patting me on the head the whole time I was cleaning pet rat cages (which is defienelty big enough for here and lets her move around better.) and the ones around her. She didn’t want to be petted, she wanted to pet me!
This cat’s name is Mittens and I’m completely in love with her. She is a polydactyl (has extra toes), something I’ve always loved and wanted. She is also a gorgeous color, dilute or blue tabby. The others at the shelter don’t like her because she is a bit sassy, but I think that makes her more fun!
This is the same shelter where I adopted Luie, Izzie, Jo, and Kamikaze!