There was already an area that possibly had annual flowers before, but it was grown over with weeds, so I went to work with my hoe to chop them up. I then used a rake to pull out the weeds from the soil and leave the dirt. Some stubborn weeds remained and I used my weeder to pull them up. Then I emptied out some rabbit pans into the soil and mixed that in with the rake to give it some fertilizer. A quick shovel into the loose soil and I had a hole for my new lily. I tossed a little extra manure in the bottom of the hole then added the lily and lots of water before filling the hole back in with soil.
The lily looked a little lonely there, and I happened to find a 4 pack of dahlias for 75% off at the local greenhouse. They are labeled as ‘Diablo’ and though they look a little rough, I think they will make it. I planted these around the lily to add some more color.